Re: [PyrNet-L] Debate

<< While I don't think that we should allow people to have vicious dogs that
 they can't control, I can't see banning a breed because of the problems of a
 few representatives of that breed. >>

This is a very interesting subject to me especially.  I not only have a Great
Pyrenees and as such share Warricks concerned about owning a Giant breed.  I
also have a Boxer.  My boxer is a not a show dog, but he could be and
therefore is a really good example of the breed, he has natural ears and a
docked tail.  He is mistaken quite often for a Pit Bull.  If Pit Bulls are
banned where will that stop?  Will my boxer be banned because he can be
confused for a Pit?  I know of one family who had to find a home for their
boxer because they moved to a new house in a different state and one of the
neighbors believed the dog was a pit (even though the owner insisted it wasn't
and tried to educate them) and convinced the other neighbors that the dog was
dangerous and the police were convinced to make drive-bys whenever the dog was
out in its own yard!

My point is, as Warrick much more eloquently put it, if we allow communities
to ban a specific breed where will it stop?  I have heard of Great Danes
attacking people too, shall we ban them?  I think the CGC test is a good place
to start.  What do you all think of requiring dogs over a certain age to have
a CGC cert to be licensed?  Or at the very least to show proof they are in
training.

Sandy

Sandra Ringener
birdbugg@aol.com