Re: [PyrNet-L] Rage Syndrome

There have been instances of rage in our breed, thankfully not as prevalent
as with Springer Spaniels and some other breeds.  There was an article in
the GPCA Bulletin many years ago about a Pyr that had to be euthnized due to
rage.  We once witness an instance of rage at a show when a lovely and
loving pyr sudenly attacked a child in its own family with absolutely no
provocation or warning at all.  Luckily he was restrained before he could do
serious damage.  The dog appeared glassy eyed and dazed after the incident.
I don't think that I hear as much about this as I did 15-20 years ago.  From
what I have heard, it usually does not appear until around two years of age,
altho I did once hear of a young puppy put to sleep for rage.  It really is
a scary thing.  There are theories that it is caused by some sort of seizure.

Charlotte