[PyrNet-L] Learning experience

I certainly didn't intend to cause such an email ruckus by innocently
asking about puppies and pyr prices last week, but it seems I did!
However, the exchange of mail has been a great learning experience for me.

I realize again how fortunate I was to get my Pyr in the way I did.  I had
been reading up on Pyrs, coveting them, cutting out ads from breeders (like
the one in Pawnee Rock, Kansas,) and planning on the day I could get my own
Pyr.  I hadn't really checked too deeply into prices at that point, but it
was the next step.  I just knew I have wanted a Pyr for years (the reason
for that will have to be a different post).

Then an ad came out in our local home-school newsletter that a family had
moved here from another area and couldn't keep their Pyr and was looking
for a good home.  I called immediately and they said they would come out
and "check us out".  Rodman seemed to love it here, they were happy to have
found a place for him, and all seemed well.  Didn't cost me a dime to get
him (he was just under a year old). Now, granted, I immediately paid to
have him neutered, all shots, and general physical exam, etc.  And since, I
have paid to have him regularly professionally groomed.  I feel I am
providing an even better home than he had before.

But until getting on this list and learning from all of you, I didn't
realize how much breeders and rescues have to go through, and I agree that
they have a right to charge for their dogs.  I guess I was just very
fortunate in my situation.  The vet and my groomer both think Rodman is a
fine specimen of a Pyr, but of course, I don't know how he would stack up
against show dogs, but that doesn't matter to me.  I know nothing of his
history, and the family that gave him to me with the condition that they
would "come back and visit and make sure things work out" have never so
much as ever even called again.

Your email exchanges have helped MUCH in knowing what to look out for
health-wise for Rodman, how to handle different situations, and what a good
Pyr owner will do for their dog.

On a high note, for my birthday this week, my husband & kids bought me a
scanner, so now I can try to get some photos of Rodman on my web page soon.
 Hopefully, the ones taken right after his last trip to the groomers -- he
looked so wonderful!

Thanks to you all
Tracy