Re: [PyrNet-L] dominance/aggression

> > I have been enjoying the Pyr list for awhile and now have need of your
> > assistance.  I have four dogs-a female lab, a male neutered goldie,a
> female
> > pyr and an intact 2 year old male pyr.  The male, Kodie, is a delightful
> > companion to people and until recently has fit in well with our other
> dogs.
> >  We got him at six months old from a home with multiple dogs.  Lately, he
> > has been bullying the male goldie i.e. pinning him on the ground,
> growling,
> > posturing, etc.  Although he has put his teeth on Jessie, he has never
> > bitten him.  My concern is that these incidents are increasing in
> frequency
> > and it is getting more difficult to stop the exchange.  I had been
> keeping
> > a tab on Kodie and snapping him, saying "Wrong", and putting him in a
> down
> > when he starts bullying Jessie.  This technique is becoming less
> effective
> > and this morning I got them separated but with a great deal of
> difficulty.
> > Kodie made no attempt to bite me but he growled the entire way out the
> back
> > door where he remains.  Most of these incidents seem to be triggered by
> > food or jealousy over attention from me.  Kodie is going to obedience
> > training but, here, too, he has developed a dislike for other intact
> males
> > and needs to be kept away from them.  I called the vet and scheduled a
> > neutering as I have no desire to breed.  Hopefully, this will help to
> some
> > degree. Is this normal male pyr behavior?  Any suggestions would be most
> > appreciated as I am crazy about all my dogs and would hate to have to
> give
> > any of them up.  Thanks in advance for your help.
> > MaggieIf there is one thing about pyrs that I have learned it is that they do
not do well in multi dog house holds.  They may do well as puppies, or
even for the first 1.5 years...as far as 2 years but once they discove
they are a *pyr* their desire for dominance and control will over rule
them.
Rule numebr one about pyrs...ifs its male make sure all rour other dogs
are female...if its female....some times you can swing either way but
opposite sexes work best.
I would seperate the dogs.  This is the only way you will be sure that a
fight does not insue.  If this is absolutely impossiblethen take up all
toys, bones, and food and do not feed the dogs or allow them to have
toys around each other.
Immediately begin some serious alpha training with your boy...and if he
is not neutered neuter him.....

Feed the pyr alone, make him sit for all petting, and go into a down
stay before meals or treats....

If your other dogs are not fixed then I would fix them also...Intact
males will not always get along and if a fight should break out...you
might wind up with dead dogs if not seriously injured dogs.

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA

"Oh, to be loved by a dog!"