[PyrNet-L] Re: Litter runts

How much smaller does a puppy have to be to be regarded as a runt ?

My first bitch Koko gave litters that was rather uneven in size, always a
couple of small ones at birth. Litter size was 8 - 9 and 10. I suplemented
the small ones, and allthough they usually had  not caught up with the
bigger ones at 8 weeks, they did later on, and they were not unhealthy
in any way.

I kept a very small bitch Izoure from the first litter, 350g at birth and no
more than 900g at two weeks.
Izoure will be 10 years in a couple of weeks and is still a lively lady. She
has been without doubt the healthiest dog I have owned. I use to joke,
that this is the dog, that my vets don't know, because apart from the
regular stuff like vaccinations, HD x-ray, and check-ups after giving
birth, she has never needed  a vet.

At 70 cm I would not call her small either, but she is still a light weight,
but then so was her mother.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@intercity.dk