No Subject

>ran to the side
window and began banging on it, riling the door (dog?) to
his hind quarters.<

>owners youngest daughter came to the door to see who
it was and the two opened the door (storm and
inside) simultaneously.  The Pyr saw the strange girl
who is 8, from across the room and charged over a
slippery glazed tile floor.<

Although one would like to think that a dog can "determine the right
situation" one must consider all circumstances.  I agree with Adrienne that
the dog was "protecting" what he thought was in danger, his family member.
The provoking of the dog by banging on the window as well as the sudden
intrusion into the home combined for a volatile situation.  The slippery
floor may have compounded the situation.

I too feel for the child.  However, we must remember what the purpose of
this wonderful breed is to guard its flock from intruders.

>the pyr was not able to judge the
situation correctly<

It is difficult to place this type of judgement capabilities on the dog.
Remember he was in his home, there was pounding on the window, there was
"forced abrupt intrusion, and a "family/group" member was near and possibly
in the dogs eyes, in jeopardy.

I cannot speak to legalities nor do I wish to.  However, in light of what
went on,
I agree better control & understanding in the future are called for. But, I
question a rash decision on the state of mind of the dog. Or the disposal
of it.
Children must also be taught about the animals that we live with.  No
lawyer or insurance company can do that only the parents of the children.

This is a situation no dog owner has the correct answer for.