[PyrNet-L] Provoked aggression - advice?

Well, this sort of goes along with the biting conversation.  How much
provocation does one expect before a pyr does get aggressive?

Here's the story.  A friend of mine owns a dysplastic spayed female pyr.
The next door neighbors have called the cops and successfully had my friend
given warnings about the pyrs barking.  So the neighbors do not get along
and they have "power" over my friend, for this is in a town thats ordinance
says  "no barking".  No time frame at all, just "no barking allowed".  Any
bark can get you a warning - pretty bad, huh.  The neighbors have used the
good ole "I'll call the cops if . . " threats.

Anyway, today the pyr was running around the yard, barked a few times,
warning others that her children (4 boys all Elementary school age) were in
the backyard and she was there to protect them!  <g>  One of the nextdoor
neighbors yelled at the pyr to shut up.  So the pyr walks over to that part
of the fence and barks at her.  The neighbor climbs up on the wooden fence,
reaches over it, and smacks the pyr in the face!   My friend told the
neighbor that if she hit the dog again, she (my friend) would hit her!  The
neighbor went in the house & slammed the door.

I told my friend to be sure and let them know that the pyr could bite them
if they reach their hand through or over the fence anymore.  Kind of the
posted "no trespassing" sign thing.  What I'm wondering, in todays society,
does the dog owner have any recourse at all?  Can she call the cops for
animal cruelty or abuse?  If the neighbor does end up getting bit because
she continues to torment the dog, will my friend be liable?  You can
certainly call the police when someone hits your child, can you do the same
with hitting your dog, or would they just laugh?  (you can certainly tell
I'm emotionally involved in this!)

This dog has not shown any aggression before, but I'm not sure how much
provocation might elicit a bad response.

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Oregon