Re: [PyrNet-L] Advice column

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Tracy Pribbenow wrote:

> For any of you that read it ---
> Did you agree with the advice given in the "Ask Dog Fancy" column this
> issue (August 1998) about the growling Pyr?   I thought it was too
> simplified, as it never stated the circumstances under which the dog had a
> growling problem.
>
> If you didn't see it and would like me to post the short question/answer, I
> can.

I read it.  The writer didn't specify the circumstances so the advice
given was very general.  It never hurts to have such a dog examined with a
vet.  Dogs in pain can react with a growl or bite.  The advice also
mentions basic training which is extremely important.

BTW, the caption:  "A herding breed, the Great Pyreness has a protective
instinct.  However, aggression is a serious fault and could signal a
medical problem."  underneath the photo of the pyr is incorrect.  A pyr is
not a herding breed.  Many people make that mistake.  Although I wouldn't
mind seeing a pyr round up a flock of sheep... :)

David

"Life is a journey, not a destination."