Re: [PyrNet-L] packs

Hi Jessie and James,

I can't answer your questions about backpacking with Bear, but I can point
you to one source that can. Check Perry Greene Outfitters at
http://www.idyllmtn.com/perrygreene/ or e-mail Martha Kalina/Rick Skoglund
(the owners) at PeryGreene@aol.com. They sell all kinds of sledding,
skijoring, and backpacking equipment and would probably be happy to answer
your questions. They carry two different styles of packs and say they have
sizes to fit dogs from 10 to over 100 lbs. Also, they recommend on their web
site the following book: Charlene LaBelle's "A Guide to Backpacking with
Your Dog" ($10 paperback).

Martha and Rick breed Chinooks, and also have Siberian and Alaskan Huskies
and a Leonberger. They are really into outdoor activities with their dogs,
so should be able to speak from experience. (And they are really nice people.)

Have fun with Bear,
--June Campbell in Virginia (where my Pyr Star and Leonberger Amos think
it's much too hot to hike)