Re: [PyrNet-L] dewclaws

Donna Coffman wrote:

> In many instances, the dewclaws are NOT "essentially hanging skin."  They
> are lower on the foot and add shape to the foot.  If they are high on the
> hock and really "essentially hanging skin," I would reconsider my earlier
> post about never removing them.

One of my dogs had a medical procedure and for curiostiy sake we did a
soft tissue xray of one of her dews(thank godness the vet was as curious
as I and didn't charge me for this one) We did find, besides bony
structure - muscle and tendon connections within that rear dew. When
asked about the possibility of those still being there even if there is
no bony structure and it just hangs there(I have one like that, too),
the vet said it is highly possible that the muscle is still there. I've
said before that I have also seen one completly opened up in surgery due
to an injury and there is stuff in there that goes into the structure of
the whole leg.

Lisa