Re: [PyrNet-L] EVENT: Metro Atlanta Great Pyrenees Club "Intro To Showing" & Mt

<< Sounds interesting.  Who is leading the mini-seminar?  Tell us about their
 background and experience with the breed.  What group is this aimed, i.e.
 complete novices, new competitors, etc.  What time does it start and how long
 will it last. >>

Joe, Thanks for you inquiry.

I will be holding the seminar - it is geared towards complete novices.  Basics
only - showing, as you know is not very cut & dry.  I will present the
standard to them, so even as spectators they will understand what a Pyrenees
structure, tempermant, and movement should be like.   I will provide a flow
chart showing the flow of classes through best of breed and what a 'Champion'
is.   Explaination of expenses of the entries, grooming time,  and training
required.  Then a little question & answer.  If this strikes an interest in
anybody, I will be happy to lead them to the next step to investigate.

My background is as an owner handler of Pyrs for 10+ years now.  Although my
full background is growing up around dogs shows with an Aunt that has shown
Saints, Newfoundlands, Cockers, Danes, and now breeds & shows Corgis.  I
helped handled her Corgis for a number of years too.  In addition, I was an
assistant to Jane Alston & Greg Myers for a few shows and attended George
Altson's seminar.  Amungst my originally training in a confirmation class held
by Carlos (can't remember his last name! - sorry), a professional hanlder of
many working breeds including Dobermans, Boxers, etc. I have finished 4 out of
6 of my Pyrenees.  The 2 that were not finished: 1 did not turned out but was
pointed, and the other became deathly ill with 1 major short of finishing.
My most current Champion was the one that I recently posted, my ham in the
ring & Pride & Joy, Indy.  Who finished at 10 1/2 months and received both
majors (5 & a 4 point) back to back at 7 months, over specials.    I intend to
special her - but for now she is at home growing up:-) and doing obedience
training.  Which I am not so experienced in! <g>

The seminar will start after the Pyrenees judging.  Although, I encourage it
to 'start' by watching the Pyrenees judging.  I will have someone handing out
the charts with the classes that will occur in the judging highlighted.  I
haven't set a time limit as of yet.  Immediately following the min-seminar
will be the club meeting.

I hope this answers all of your questions.

Lara Spears
Fayetteville, GA