[PyrNet-L] Early spays & neuters

Mitzi wrote:
> I think it's well accepted now that the 8 wk olds recover 10 times
> quicker than the 6 mo or older dogs. I'd MUCH rather have it done
> before I even pick up the puppy

Not only do they recover so much quicker, but I myself think it is more
humane.  The pups don't seem to have the pain, they don't even try to check
out their sutures.  After having all companion pups of a litter early
spayed/neutered, and then having a 1 year old neutered, I plan on sticking
with the early neuters.  The 1 year old obviously suffered.  They don't
have the hormones kicking in through their system either, only to be
frustrated and/or confused when those hormones are suddenly removed.  Why
let the hormones start in when they are not going to be needed (not
planning on breeding)?  I understand it takes the hormones a couple of
months to work their way out of the dogs system.  And since spaying prior
to the first heat cycle greatly reduces the risks of reproductive cancers,
early spaying at 8-12 weeks just about completely eliminates that risk
100%!  Same goes for dogs reproductive cancers if neutered early.

If the dog is to be neutered or spayed anyway, I'd rather have it done
before that pup leaves my home.   But that is in my most humble opinion!
:-)

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Oregon