[PyrNet-L] New to Pyrnet

Hi all,
Wanted to give a quick intro.
We do not own a Pyr, but are looking into getting one. I read an article on Pyrs
several years ago and have wanted one ever since. But alas,our yard etc wasn't
suitable then. We are now in a new home with a huge yard and are seriously
investigating Pyrs. I thought we'd come here and get to know more about them
before we make our final decision. Any wisdom you could impart would be very
appreciated.
Our biggest concern right now is if a Pyr will get along with the dog we have.
She is a 2.5 yr. old, Australian Shepherd/Lab Mix.
Also, I have read that Pyrs must be kept in a fenced yard or on a leash at all
times. But then I see pictures of Pyrs that are walking without leads in parades
and out backpacking. So, I don't know what to think.
Thanks for your help,
Paula in MN