Re: [PyrNet-L] chat: help ASAP

Charlotte,
Got to agree.  No matter how much early training you do once they
hit what I call "the terrible teens" and it doesn't seem to matter if
they've been spayed or neutered as it seems to happen about
when the hormones would normally kick in it's as if they lose whats
in the head as a teenager would do<bg>.  But it does pass.
Whether you go through it easy or not just depends on the owner
and how it's handled.  And I love 'em once they get to the stage
mine are, around 4, cause they really seem to turn into just joys
then.  Then you have to look forward to them when they turn into
old folks as my 2-10 yrs olds are.

I know a lot of people do this but there is a couple of places that
are off limits and it's my bed and the couches.  Letting them on the
bed and other furniture essentially says they are on the same level
as you are at, an equal, a littermate.  And there are many
dominance confrontations regarding possession of and guarding
resting areas.  Also, I teach my dogs something called "move".
Which means if they are resting somewhere and I have to step over
them I essentially say move and have them move for me to get by
and not step over or around.  The reason being is leaders control
territory.

Some good pamphlets/books/videos on the subject are
"ALPHABETIZE YOURSELF: HELP YOUR DOG REGARD YOU
AS LEADER" by Ryan, "DOMINANT DOG" by Rogerson, "HOW
TO BE THE LEADER OF THE PACK" by McConnell, "LEADER
OF THE PACK" by Baer & Duno.

Janice, janices@jump.net
Admiral & Linsey (newfs), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/
Leander, TX
Visit Old West Newfoundland Club's website at
http://www.jump.net/~janices/ownc/