[PyrNet-L] Chat: Dog Training

 I have read the comments made by all of you about the ease or not of training
Pyrs.
 In my short period of training (10 yrs) my own dogs, I discovered the earlier
like 3 to 4 mos old to start to train gets most of the basic commands down
before the dog decides s/he their stubborn streak is coming out.

 I have also discovered that by training one early and one late a lot of
differences show up in personalities and how much is going to be obeyed the
first time.  Depending on what you expect from your Pyr and how high your
expectations are, depends on what you want from this dog.  If you think a Pyr
is going to act and respond like any other dog, you will get your feelings
hurt.  If you believe that Pyrs like children are individuals, you and the dog
will learn more from each other in a short period of time.

 Shylo is my "rock" when I need him to be, on command, which floors me but for
me he will go rock-solid still for a few minutes while I pull myself up on
him.  Not enough of my weight to harm him but enough to steady myself.  He did
this the day I broke my leg and again the last couple days when getting up is
a chore in itself.  I discovered he will stand close enough to my waterbed
that if I'm in the wrong position to get up he will stand rock-still while I
put a pull to his hair and skin while I swing out of bed.  Did I teach him
this, don't think so, but he does it.  He has learned to give me a hug by
putting his big head on my arms or my hip or my chest but not the stomach
area.  Figure that one out.  Did I tell him, might have but don't
remember--another one of those little quirks about my big guy.

 So in conclusion, train for what you want and hope for the best.  Me, a
professional trainer, not hardly.  Just know what I wanted him to know to help
me and make him happy.

 Mary and Shylo
 Bartlesville, Ok  --  Home of Phillips Petroleum
 PYR4@aol.com

---- Begin included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
[...]

remember--nother one of those little quirks about my big guy.

---- End included message ----
---- End included message ----