Re: [PyrNet-L] Crating an older dog

>We have 3 pups under the age of 8 months who are all crate trained.
>I didn't even *know about crate training pre-Internet and these dog lists.
>I'm wondering how difficult it is to try and crate train an older dog.  He
>shows *no interest in the 3 crates scattered through-out the house.  I know
>he's not going to go into any crate training willingly.  Any suggestions gang?
>I'd really love to keep the bedroom doors open.  We use a wood burning
>stove most the time and those back bedrooms can get quite nippy w/ the
>doors shut!!!
>Thanks,
>Cindy Zellick
>Chico, CA USA
>cindyzel@worldnet.att.net

I was about to send you a reply about crating an older dog since we got our
Tyler when he was 2 & 1/2 and we had to crate train him for our apartment.

However, when I read Mitzi's response to you, I realized you couldn't get
any better instruction then that. Mitzi most definitely knows her crate
training and her behavior modification and shaping behavior stuff!!!! Plus
I love how her very smart and thorough method emphasizes the element of
reassurance for the dog and reinforcement that this crate game is a good
thing.

My praises Mitzi, and good luck Cindy. You've got a primo technique, now go
have fun watching that smart  Cody master the "new bed"game.

Kathy & Tyler, NYC
<rg2@is8.nyu.edu>