Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.19990103

Some people remove the dewclaws, but
i've never heard of doing it that early. My sister's girl had them
removed when she was spayed at 7 months. I don't remove them because I
show my dogs. I did have a new vet tell me to do it because they can
tear in rough terrain, but in all our years of backpacking in the
mountains our Pyrs never once had a problem. I like the dewclaws and
when you think of where Pyrs originated the tearing arguement doesn't
make that much sense.

>To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
>Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:19:03 -0000
>From: "KRISTI DUCKETT" <crewchief@ivillage.com>
>Subject: [PyrNet-L] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.19990103
>
>Hi all. Its me, the novice, again!  I just took Samson to the vet for
the first time.  He weighs 9 lbs--he sure looks bigger than that!  And
to think of what he WILL weigh!  wow!  Well, I don't remember if I told
you, but we didn't get him from a professional breeder--it was a private
one.  His living conditions were less than ideal.  Well, the vet says
his ears are infected so we have drops for that.  He also got shots
today.  The vet said something that made me curious.  He said that
Samson's dew claws should have been removed at 2 days old, but now he is
too big.  I have always heard that you shouldn't remove them.  I was
relieved that the breeder had left them.  Am I wrong?  Oh, and remember
the question about aggression toward other dogs?  Well, as I was getting
his medicine at the front desk, a man came in with a little bitty yapper
of a dog.  She started growling and barking at Samson--I mean she was
really pulling at her leash to get to him.  I got a little nervous a!
> t how'd react.  Well, good ole Samson!  He just walked to other side
of me as far as his leash would let him go and layed down and just
watched her make a show.  He just looked at her with this bored look on
his face.  I was so proud!
>Well, I guess I've taken up enough of your time---just had to share!
8o)

>Kristi (the very proud Mommy to 9 week old Samson)
>

>--
>Visit http://www.ivillage.com for your FREE iVillage.com email account.
>iVillage.com: The Women's Network -- Real Solutions for Busy Women.

Barb Bowes, NJ and
Bo, Molly, Chelsea and Flopsy the Pyr Shep

The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.