Re: [PyrNet-L] RESCUE: How can I help

<< I have been reading all the posts about rescue organizations and have
never considered getting involved because I cannot house any dogs.  Looking
at Angie's post I realized that there are many things that need to get done
that don't involve housing the dogs.      <SNIP>  how do I find the rescue
group in my area and how do I
get involved in that group?

Catie
Piper City IL>>

Catie, since you live in Illinois, you can start by contacting the Chicago
club (I'm assuming that it's the regional GP club that's closest to you).
Their website address is:  http://www.gpcgc.org/   Usually, regional clubs
have a network of people that *do* rescue in one way or another.   It helps
to work with a club because you have support from other members who have
more experience than you in the world of Pyr rescue and also it helps to
keep things more organized so that one hand knows what the other is doing.

If anyone else is interested in helping out with Great Pyrenees Rescue,
please contact the GP regional club that's closest to you for more
information.  A list of the GPCA affiliated clubs can be found at:
http://www.akc.org/clubs/gpca/gpcaclub.html
There are also a couple of clubs who are fairly new and are patiently
waiting to become affiliated with the GPCA.  The North Florida Great
Pyrenees Club is one of them and I don't know the others at the moment.  The
NFGPC website URL is:
http://members.xoom.com/Scottc/home.htm

There are many different things that people can do to help with rescue.
Transporting a dog, evaluating a dog, grooming, or educating the public
about the breed.   (This can be done by sitting at a club rescue booth to
provide information and education, by placing an ad in your local paper and
providing breed information, or just in everyday conversation when people
stop you on the street to ask you about your big, white teddy bear, etc.)
A big thing for some clubs is providing some financial support.  Either way,
a little support, no matter if it's financial or not, can go a long way to h
elp those rescue people who do this work day in and day out.  But mostly, it
helps the breed, which ultimately should be our primary goal.

Off my soapbox...    :-))

Karen Reiter
Pyrenean Fanciers of the NE Rescue Chair
kreiter@servtech.com