Re: [PyrNet-L] Medical? Parvo vaccinations

In a message dated 2/9/99 4:52:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, MGApeach@aol.com
writes:

> Both kinds have advantages and disadvantages. Some of them
> are: modified live vaccines give some amount of rapid protection,
> while killed need at least two vaccinations before protection. With
> live vaccinations there is a very small risk of inducing the illness you
> are vaccinating against if the immune system is allready compromised.
> That is why we never vaccinate a sick animal. Also the live vaccines give
> longer, higher immunity than killed. As for brands, we use Vanguard
> at the clinic. I have also used Fort Dodge on my own animals.

This is basically true.  However, we now have a new vaccine technology on the
market called "recombinant" which is genetically engineered and supposed to be
both safer and more effective.  Right now, I believe only Merial (Rhone-
Merieux) has the patent on this technology. I personally will also be watching
to see what we find about the new recombinant type vaccines. Check out
Merial's site for more info on recombinant type vaccines, supposedly more
effective and safer:

<A HREF="http://www.merial-ca.com/rmvac.html">Merial Canada Inc.- Key products
</A>
http://www.merial-ca.com/rmvac.html

<A HREF="http://www.merial-ca.com/recvac11.html#3">Merial Canada Inc.- Type of
Recombinant Vaccines</A>
http://www.merial-ca.com/recvac11.html#3

> When the pups get the colostrum (the first milk) they get maternal
> antibodies that can last anywhere between 8 and 10 weeks of age.
> This is why it is important for puppies to nurse immediately. If the
> mother is well vaccinated the pups get the antibodies in those crucial
> first hours; as long as they have the antibodies, the pups immune
> system will neutralize the vaccine. (thus throwing away money) Since
> we do not know exactly when the antibodies wear off, we booster the
> immune system. And it is very important not to expose your pup to
> other dogs (Petsmart, the park, etc.) untill after the last booster shot.
> Before any vaccinations, your animals should have a health exam by
> your veterinarian.

The only thing I would add/change with regard to this is timeframe in which
maternal antibodies "wear off".  In the case of Parvo in particular it may be
as early as 6 weeks and as late as 20 weeks studies have shown.  So I
personally recommend vaccinating for parvo out to 20 wks of age, 8 wks, 12
wks, 16 wks, 20wks.  Also, other vaccine companies now have supposed "high-
titers" parvo vaccines capable of overriding maternal anitbodies 90+% of the
time after only two shots at around 8 wks and 12-14 wks.  However, rely on
this with caution only.  I still consider puppies susceptible to parvo out to
20-22 wks of age.

An individual I have a tremendous amount of respect for who is an immunologist
has convinced me the D/M (distemper-measles) at 6 wks would be a good idea.
So, I am going to use it in the future, and I *think* I am going to follow the
vaccination protocol described in her article:
<A HREF="http://pilot.msu.edu/user/silvar/avax.htm">
</A>
<A HREF="http://pilot.msu.edu/user/silvar/avax.htm">Vaccination Protocols</A>
http://pilot.msu.edu/user/silvar/avax.htm

I may have posted this link before, but I think it's timely to post again.

Kelley Hoffman
BasqueLaine
kshoffman@aol.com