[PyrNet-L] Care: Dog house size and plans

   Albert & Mattie's doghouse is a log doghouse we made ourselves. The
thickness of the logs provide needed insulation to protect them from the
elements.  It has a roof that slopes back towards back of doghouse, so that
rain runs away from the entrance and away from their pen, so as to not make
more puddles in their pen. We put roofing on it. The inside dimensions are 4
feet deep by 6 feet wide and  I think the height of both doghouses were 42 to
48 inches high. (Higher in front.) We bought a horse stall mat that fits
perfectly inside it for about $29 on sale. This provides some insulation,
helps keep them warm and dry and also provides some cushioning.  It also does
not stain their white fur and does not trigger allergies like hay and straw
can. We situated the doghouse so it is oriented with the front away from the
way the wind usually blows to both protect them from wind and also rain
blowing in.  An overhang at the front helps keep it dry when rarely the rain
blows the opposite direction than it normally does.  We also oriented the
doghouse so that the entrance is even with our fenceline of their 20 foot by
30 foot pen. Then we ran fencing over the top front of the roof of the
doghouse to keep them from jumping on the doghouse to escape the pen. This way
the 4 by 6 doghouse takes up none of the space inside the pen, as it is
outside the pen and only entrance is inside the pen.  We used the same plans
when we had 2 Newfoundlands and found it worked very well. Of course we live
on wooded acreage and just cut the logs ourselves to build it.  We would like
to eventually enlarge their pen, too, to provide even more running around room
- hopefully twice as much room.  With the Newfs we had the front of the
doghouse walled in except for a space big enough for them to enter it.  On
this one we opted to leave the whole front wall open.  Both designs have their
plusses and minuses. The walled in front protects them from the elements more
in winter, but doesn't have as good of circulation in summer,  makes it harder
for them to enter and leave when the other dog is in there laying down. Also
makes it harder to clean inside and come to aid of a sick dog inside.  With
the Newfs' doghouse with the wall in entrance side we made the roof hinged so
we could open it, but it was very heavy to lift open and you had to prop it
open to clean inside and still was harder to clean inside.  With the open
front wall version we are using now it is very easy to clean out and we were
also able to install elevated holders for their food and secure them to the
wall of the doghouse so their food keeps dry and still be able to put food in
easilly.  The elevated food dish holders we use are actually vinyl coated
planter holders from Wal-Mart's garden section and sell for about $5 to $7
each and each holds one dish. Cheapest store-bought version I have found. You
could also make your own out of big 5 gallon white plastic containers and
weight them down with sand or gravel or attach them to wall so they don't get
knocked over and custom cut the top lid to hold your dog's dish. This version
of doghouse design makes it easy for dog's to enter and leave even if another
dog is in there laying down and makes rescuing a sick dog easier. However it
does not keep them as warm. However in summer it provides more circulation and
is cool and comfy. We have been toying with making an entrance on each side of
front wall so that mid section of front wall has a wall about 3.5 feet or so
wide that is hinged for cleaning and rescuing sick dogs if needed. That way
each of would have own entrance and still have room for an elevated dog food
dish holder at side of each entrance. I kind of think these dogs will stay in
their doghouse more if they can see out easily, as they are used to being able
to survey their territory and will relax more if they can see out. Maybe we
might try making the mid-section out of Plexi-Glass so they can see out.
Still pondering whether to modify the front wall design or not. The dogs
really don't seem to mind the open front wall. Their pen fencing is 6 feet
high.