Re: Zoe attacked by a GSD

In a message dated 3/22/99 5:26:01 AM Pacific Standard Time, TBSLCOOP@aol.com
writes:

<< I guess I am going to have to take one dog at a time on daily
 walks from now on >>

   The question that comes to mind is:
   "How bad would Zoe have been hurt if Cooper were not there to leap to her
aid, though?"
   Maybe it is safer for Zoe and you both,  to take both dogs at once or at
least have Cooper there when you take Zoe.  Maybe take Cooper alone at times,
though. Just a thought. How about a walking stick for you to carry? Or one
thing I do is take an extra leash that is a chain one with me when we have to
walk past a pit bull and also a house with 5 Lab/Rott crosses that come after
Albert.  I double over the chain one and hook the end with the fastener to the
metal loop under the leather loop handle so I can use it as a weapon if
needed. (Double chain that way.)
   Make sure and yell loud and mean at the other dog to "Get home!!"  when you
see him. That often helps.
   I have taken pepper spray, but the thing is that if your dogs are fighting
you will get your dog as well that way.  You also have to be careful as it
gets blown easily by the wind.  Never use it when windy or you will end up
with it in your eyes and be worthless to help the situation.  The thing with
pepper spray is never use it when windy and you need to spray the charging dog
right in the face and spray a lot, before he gets to your dog.  Sometimes they
continue to blindly charge at you even then and are madder then.  Sometimes
they are meaner the next time you go by them, too.  (My hubby is a mailman, so
we have LOTS of experience with mean dogs!)  The best deterrent is yelling
loudly and meanly with authority in your voice.  My voice has turned away more
challenging dogs than anything.
   I'd love to get my hands on a cattle prod!!  Anyone have any experience
with those in these situations? Are they strong enough to stop a big dog from
charging?
   I keep getting tempted to send a copy of the county laws regarding dogs to
the owners of these dogs that bother us.  We also ride motorcycles and the
charging dogs are life-threatening to us then as well.  Makes me so mad to see
mean dogs kept off-leash!!  People should know better!!  And be more
responsible. Unfortunately it often takes a major injury to another dog or
person to get them to see the light. Often then they don't.
   Good luck!!  Been there, know how upsetting it is and how leary it makes
you. Hate to see the innocent ones have to suffer because of stupidity and
irresponsibility of others.  Hope Zoe recovers 100% and is not scarred too bad
physically or emotionally.
Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com
Shelton, WA.