[PyrNet-L] Size, semantics and the Breed

Joe sent me to the library for this one.

> something.  I
> have never seen from any credible source that the breed was a "giant."

I thought maybe I had made up the fact that Pyrs were classified
as a giant breed. In my mind the giant breeds are the Saints,
the Newfs, the Pyrs, with the Danes and the Irish Wolfhounds in
the "Ultra" category. This was reinforced by Mary Crane comparing
the Pyr to the Newf and the Saint -  not as heavily boned as
one, nor as tall as the other. And after checking out Jan's web
page (hope you get well quickly) I noticed that the battle of the
Giants includes these three breeds. I have never seen Pyrs compared
to Labs or Goldens, dogs that I would classify as "large."

And as far as a credible source - how about Edith Smith. In that
old book "How to Raise and Train Great Pyrenees" that we used to
give to our puppy purchasers, she writes on pg 40:

	"As in the case of most Giant Breeds, litters
	are large in number of puppies produced, and small in
	size of puppies at birth."

Perhaps if ones definition of "giant" includes only the Irish
Wolfhound or the Great Dane, we are in an issue of semantics.
And now we are into Dave's olive comparison (good point Dave).
But in truth, the difference between a 27" male and a 32" male
with good proportion is immense (pardon the choice of words).
And perhaps it is in this diversity there is the strength of
our breed. And our breed standard allows us this.

And to continue on Dave's note re: too typey. Obviously meant
as a derogatory statement (?). I never heard this, but shall we look
forward to the same critics coming up with phrases such as "too
balanced" or "too sound"?

--
  Carol
 Carol Brescher Boyle                Improving the health of our dogs,

 Need a wholesome dog-friendly recipe? See the "Recipe of the month"
        at the our web-site http://www.naturaldogfood.com