Re: [PyrNet-L] Type/Style

In a message dated 5/13/99 8:22:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Kimbazeke@aol.com writes:

<< TYPE, but I still don't get it.  >>

Matty, type describes the appearance of the breed within the verbal
descriptions of the standard.  In Great Pyrenees it generally describes the
appearance of the head, but does involve other body parts as well.  It is a
very subjective, sort of what makes a person beautiful or handsome, but there
are things many of us can agree upon.  For example, here in North America we
have a dog with a head that is a little heavier i.e. blockier than seen in
Europe.  WE tend to have more "stop" in the muzzle and heavier lips.  The
European dogs many consider here as looking like a Kuvasz, although even then
quite different.   So what you have are characteristics of appearance in the
head primarily that we know are different of different dogs.  This we speak
of a type.  Many of us speak of it as correct, more correct, etc.  Of course
the fight begins on what is correct as the verbal descriptions can be
interpreted with quite a bit of latitude and still fit the very description.
Then there is the issue of degrees of something or lack of something.  When
is too much too much, etc.

Fortunately we do have pictures from early 20th century and even before, so
we have some clues to the written word.  Hope this helps.

Joe