[PyrNet-L] Re: French show pix up

Charlotte wrote:
<<Thanks, Joan for the pictures from the French National!  I would love to
go some time.  One of the things that I noticed in your pictures was the
difference in head types between Gardayan and the two brothers in
pictures #2 & #3.  Do Pyr head types vary as much in France as they do
in the U.S.?  I went back and looked at Joe's pictures of the winning
Pyrs over the years in Franch (Great Pyrnees Journal). Gardayan and most
of the winning dogs have heads that are not much different from many
nice-headed Pyrs in this country.  Somehow, my idea of "french type" or
"refined" is more like the dogs #2 and #3 in Joan's picture.  So, I was
surprised that Gardayan and Estom do not have that type of head.  Joan,
Joe can you comment on this?  Do you think that the French judges
consider Gardayan or the dogs in #2 and #3 pictures to be more correct?
Do the dogs in #2 & #3 pictures have enough fill under the eyes?  Would
love to get comments on this from people who have knowledge of French
dogs.  I have been confused watching M. Mansecal judge because he has
not seemed to like those heads that I think he should like.  I'm still
trying to learn about that "correct type".
Charlotte (free for the summer in Virginia)>>

It is true that Gardayan does not have the refined type of head seen in
many French Pyrs. He has other qualities, though. Personally I was a little
bit disappointed when I saw him, not because he is not a great pyrenees, he
is, but because I had heard so much about him, so many people had described
him as the best they had ever seen, so I had expected more particually in
regards to head. Later I have seen mr. Mansencal refer to him as an
somewhat oldfashioned type of pyrenees.
In some of the French show a special award is given to the dog with the
best head and expression, and the winners of that kind of competion when
pictured in the French Magazine always have different types of heads than
Gardayan's, more refined, softer lines, more fill under the eyes.
The two brothers in picture two and three I have not seen live, but they
look nice from the pictures, also more my idea of a well-typed French head,
but they are young yet, so we need to see what they will be like when they
mature.
Allthough heads are more important in France than in some other countries,
other things are also important to win there.
Lene
Lene Nielsen
Denmark
sandybear@intercity.dk