[PyrNet-L] New to the List

Hello. My name is Marci Gruhlkey and I am owned by a Pyr, Montana Bear (
there is a story about how that name came to be!) . Montana and I got
together a year ago last February, when he was seven weeks old. He is not
registered. His parents are both livestock guardian dogs working dogs on a
ranch near Amarillo TX, where I live. I think I could get papers if I went
though the process. I believe Montana is a purebred Pyr. Not that it matters
to me, I do not want to breed or show him. I have had him neutered. I just
came across the Pyrnet-list, and begin to realize how woefully ignorant I am
about the breed! Lots to learn.

The reason I am writing today is that I had a scare last night. Around
midnight Montana began rubbing his face and muzzle on me and everything else
in sight. It was as if he had a terrible itch. Within a few minutes his
lips, nose and eyes started swelling, fast. I felt it was an allergic
reaction. Earlier, around 7:00, I had applied Frontline. I was terrified
that Montana was having a reaction to the Frontline, so I immediately called
my Vet. She called me back and said that she felt the allergic reaction was
to either a spider bite or a bee sting. She said if it were a reaction to
the Frontline, the reaction would involve the area where the medicine was
applied, between his shoulders. She had me give Montana three tablets of
Benadryl then, two tabs four hours later, and then I am to give him one tab
every eight hours for a couple of days. Montana is 15 months old and weighs
about 115 lbs. He is about 30 inches at the shoulder. The swelling had gone
down some by this morning, but it is still very noticeable. I will check on
him at lunch. I am hoping the swelling will have gone down completely by
then.

I have a couple of questions for the list. First, if Montana has had such a
bad reaction this time what are the dangers if he is bit again by the same
critter? What are the chances of anaphylactic shock?? Next, could it have
been the Frontline? I am not even sure I have thought of all the questions I
should be asking. This has shaken me a little. The swelling was so bad, I
was afraid that his trachea was going to close down also. I have to admit I
was bit close to panic. He was such a miserable puppy!!! Even after taking
the Benadryl.

Any information about this type of reaction or suggestions on prevention
would be appreciated!!

Marci Gruhlkey and Montana Bear
Quiltermg@aol.com <mailto:Quiltermg@aol.com>
marci.gruhlkey@asc.mhmr.state.tx.us