Re: [PyrNet-L] size

>I do agree with you about the amazing flexibility of the Pyrs., this
>trait still fascinates me, especially their sideways/different elevation
>jumps.  But at what size and weight would you say they can no longer do
>this?  Thanks for your feedback!  Cindy.
>Cindy Henke

I don't know, but to my mind it could be ANY height and weight if they are
not proportioned/built properly to begin with.  I have seen some 'smaller'
Pyrs height wise who looked heavier and a lot less agile than some 'larger'
Pyrs. The heights set in the standard(s) and their corresponding weights do
to my mind seem to be the most practical though for working with sheep/goats
etc. The dogs would be big enough to handle possible predators, but small
enough to blend somewhat with the flock and not present the sheep etc with
such a huge imposing creature towering over them.  Perhaps this 'blending
in' and not posing a threat to the flock is another reason for the coat
colour too?  I know Working Border Collie people here will generally not use
dogs who are substantially white for sheep work, as they say the dogs don't
get the appropriate 'respect' from the sheep and find it harder to work
them.

Tracy Bassett
espinay@dynamite.com.au
Canberra, Australia