Re: [PyrNet-L] gene pool size (was size)

In a message dated 6/15/99 1:05:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Kshoffman@AOL.COM writes:

<< I would also assume there was some sort of "genetic bottleneck" in Europe
 (and possibly in the US as well) around the time of WWII.  >>

I thought this at one time myself, but have since found that the dogs simply
went back to he mountains and meadows, i.e., to the farms and were not
registered for a few generations.  Senac-Lagrange found many again after the
war and helped many breeders start again, including Comte de Foix.  There
always was a diverse population to choose from.  Not always desirable, but
many choices.

<< Possibly there have even been other such "bottlenecks" within
the breeding population at different times in history -- does any timeframe
or event in particular come to mind that either of you are aware of that
would have restricted the gene pool in such a manner that virtually all of
our current dogs are descended from such an "event" that would have resulted
in a very limited pool of breeding stock?>>

No, I really cannot.  Even when Dretzen "reconstituted the breed" in 1907,
his dogs that he brought back from the Pyrenees were just a handful.  The
fact is there were many dogs of good type that he told us about when he
reported to Mrs. Crane in that wonderful letter he wrote to here that she
published in her book.  Look where it says he had a young may, Alexandra
Cazaux-Moutou who left him as a young man and went back to Lourdes and bred
with local people.  This was de Soum and the local breeders were
Senac-Lagrange, Langladure, and many others.  There were obviously many dogs
of good quality left in the Pyrenees.  So while I admire what Dretzen did, I
believe he was not totally correct in this impression of the almost lost
breed.  Most of what we have is from that stock left in the Pyrenees and not
Dretzens.  Or at least I cannot see Dretzen's stock there and that is
entirely possible taking the French system of registration into account.

Joe