Re: [PyrNet-L] clicker training (was Question:)

On 17 Jun 99, at 15:54, Carol Brescher Boyle wrote:
> There are some other people on the list who can explain it
> better than I can. Janis, are you out there?

Who, me?  Yep, I'm here.  I had a computer crash and have been
offline for about 2 weeks.  Now back.

Clicker is a part of operant conditioning.  There's one definition at
http://www.clickertrain.com/whatis.html

It's training based on shaping through positive reinforcement with
the clicker as the marker signal.  Call it a training bargain between
you and your dog.  You give me what I want and I'll give you what
you want.  The click sound is the primary way of talking to the dog
in the training process.  It works because you consistently give
what the click promises.  The primary reinforcer is something the
dog naturally wants.  It can be food, play, game, etc.  It is not
something that the dog has to be taught to like.  The conditioned
reinforcer or also called secondary reinforcer is something the dog
is taught to like by pairing it with the primary reinforcer.  It can be
anything: clicker, voice, whistle.  The clicker simply marks a
correct action.  It provides a clear message that what you did was
right.  Call it a gold star for doing good.

What I have found and probably others who use it is the dogs learn
quicker, even pyrs, and we've found they retain more of what they
learned over periods of time.  We practically just pick back up on
training if there's a lapse where we don't train.  They also think
more about what they do.  Mine will correct themselves without me
saying anything at times.  Also found produces a dog that is happy
and willing to work, confident in what they're doing, and confident in
it's ability to confront and overcome surprises.

You don't have a dog, as in when use physical corrections, the dog
is really not working for you, but to avoid the corrections.

Reference book "Clicker Training for Obedience" by Morgan
Spector takes you through companion dog stuff to training novice
to utility level obedience.

To find someone who trains clicker try
http://www.wazoo.com/~marge/Clicker_Trainers/
Clicker_Trainers.html

Janice, janices@jump.net
Admiral & Linsey (newfs), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/
Leander, TX