[PyrNet-L] RE: Double/Single Dewclaws

This is because double dewclaws are only expressed if both parents pass on
the gene.  Each dog has a pair of genes controlling any given trait.  They
pass on only one. A dog with singles may have the gene for doubles, simply
not reinforced.  It is still possible for him to pass on the gene to his
off-spring.  Single dewclaws means that at least one of the genes is for
single dewclaws.

			Single	Double
Single	|	Single	Single
Double	|	Single	Double

As you can see the off-spring only have doubles when both the dog (across
the top) and the bitch (down the side) both pass the double gene to the
off-spring.    You could possibly have both parents with single dewclaws
(unreinforced recessive) pass the double claw gene to the off-spring.

Jack Mowery and Belle (some of my litter-mates only had single dewclaws.
Isn't that strange) of the Amarillo Mountains.

>>If this is the case, how is it that a mating between a bitch with double
dewclaws and a dog with singles, can produce pups with doubles as I saw
here?  I'm getting confused!! :-/
Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au <mailto:espinay@dynamite.com.au>