[PyrNet-L] HEALTH: Clondike Beats the Odds

Clondike is an 11 year and 8 month old Pyr bitch who has been undergoing
chemotherapy for Lymphoma for 13 months.  She is currently in her third
remission and today the oncologist checked her over and found her nodes
are still down, hence she is still in full remission 9 weeks post-chemo.

This is a significant accomplishment, because today marks 75% of the
length of the last remission, which was 75% as long as the first
remission.  In most texts about chemotherapy a successive remission time
of 50% of the duration of the last remission is usually cited as about
average.  Clondike is being treated with a new protocol of drugs, but to
exceed 75% of the last remission time is VERY good news.

Now this does not mean she is cured.  With canine lymphoma, long
remissions are the best veterinary science has to offer.  But each week
off chemo is a week Clondike can enjoy life, and a week she can rebuild
her strength and settle her digestive tract.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my request for help with
Clondike's diet.  We think we have a plan to help sooth her system and aI
will run it by our other vets next week.

For now, Clondike is off all medications except Pepto Bismol, is eating
and pooping normally, and went into a frenzy of tail chasing last
night--something she hasn't done for some months!

Our next checkup is on Friday the 13th!  I told the receptionist if she
was brave enough to work that day, we'd chance it.  Keep a good thought
for us and I'll keep you posted.

David

 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David