[PyrNet-L] bitches cycling patterns?

Light is alleged to have an influence on bitches reproductive cycling
patterns.  I don't precisely remember how, i.e., if it is more light or less
light that triggers things or maybe both as related to seasonal/weather
changes and patterns and span of daylight hours.

All but two of my mature bitches (Pyrs, Belgian & Rosemary the Pug, or as my
husband calls her, Rosemary the GDPD <vbg>) were in season in the Dec/Jan/Feb
timeframe, mostly in Jan. The Pug was in late Nov/early Dec., started a chain
reaction with the other ladies, then came in again in early April (she short
cycles, every 4 mos.) and started another chain reaction.  The two bitches
that didn't cycle in Dec/Jan/Feb (young Belgians between 1-2 yrs of age)
cycled in Apr/May timeframe, seemingly brought on by the Pug. I guess I have
two shifts of cyclers, and they run about 4 mos apart, and Rosemary cycles
every 4 mos and is ALWAYS first in and brings the girls on that rotation in
with her.<G>  So Rosemary came in again about 3 wks ago and is now out, and
now I have the crew who cycled last winter either in full-fledged estrus,
just coming in, or starting to come. (Oh yes, we are having fun here right
now with the pack dynamics, and the boys, well those poor poor studmuffins
are just pathetic right now!)

Anyway, I'm curious about something.  Who has bitches in season now? I know
of at least three other bitches (including Pyrs & Belgians) also in season
now, one local and two on the other side of the country, and I'm wondering if
it has to anything to do with the reduction in light this time of year, i.e.,
days getting shorter and all.  Anybody else have bitches in season now, or
just coming in, or just going out? When were they last in season, and where
are you located geographically?

Also, for those with two or more intact bitches, do your bitches ever
actually cycle every 6 months on the dot regardless of where their female
pack members are in their cycles? Or, or is it more like 3 cycles every 2
yrs???  With my bitches (regardless of breed, except for Rosemary) the latter
is pretty much the rule of thumb.  I've only owned one bitch ever, a really
dominant Pyr bitch, who actually cycled every 6 mos on the dot no matter what.

My bitches seem to go 8-9 or even 10 months between a winter cycle and a late
summer or early to mid Autumn cycle, with shorter intervals (only 6-8 mos)
between a late summer/early fall cycle and a late spring/early summer cycle.
Did anyone follow that? <G>  Point is, my bitches tend to go longer between
cycles over the months where there is a lot of light, and shorter between
cycles over the months there is less light.  I'm curious, does anyone else
see the same pattern with their bitches?

Kelley Hoffman
BasqueLaine
kshoffman@aol.com
Tipp City, OHIO