[PyrNet-L] CHAT, HEALTH: Clondike Aces Tests

Clondike is an 11 year 10 month-old Pyr bitch who has been receiving
chemotherapy for 15 months for lymphoma.  She is currently 15 weeks into
remission #3 and today the oncologist confirmed that she is still in full
remission.

Clondike has had quite a week of tests, and she must have studied.
Tuesday night we saw our regular vet and Clondike had blood drawn for a
CBC and chem panel.  We also took in 2 urine samples, first of the day
and a fresh one.

Over the past 6 weeks Clondike has had a number of urine tests (beginning
with a urinary tract infection) and the specific gravity of her urine has
been low (1.012 at the lowest).  This can be a sign that the kidneys have
lost the ability to concentrate the urine, or it can mean the the dog has
"decided to flush itself" as the oncologist put it.

We did kidney function blood tests 3 weeks ago and they were in the normal
range, but at the high end of normal.  The creatinine especially was 1.66
(1.68 is the top end of normal) which is the highest it has been since she
began chemo.  We have monitored this because at age 6 she had elevated
creatinine and we managed to bring it down by reducing the protein in her
diet.

By further reducing her protein intake (substituting brussels sprouts for
the beef we had been adding to her Nutro lamb and rice) we managed to
bring the creatinine down to 1.44 and every other number on the chem panel
was smack in the middle of the normal range!!  Even better, the specific
gravity of the urine is up to 1.025 when anything over 1.02 is considered
OK.

Her CBC would be considered wildly abnormal in a young, health dog, but
for an elderly dog with cancer treated with chemo, it was considered very
good.  The oncologist today even said "these are very good values."

Clondike is also maintaining her status as a real character.  Tuesday
night was a zoo at the vets (the day after a holiday always is) and we
were in the waiting room with 2 Labs, a young one with itchy skin and a 9
year-old who had been vomiting for 2 days.  The receptionist finally got a
minute to come greet Clondike and she tried to explain that she couldn't
give Clondike a treat because it wouldn't be fair to the sick dog who
couldn't have one.

Clondike started doing her ear gestures (one forward, one back) and giving
her the "look."  The receptionist finally told the owner of the sick Lab
to put a hand over his eyes and then she gave both Clondike and the young
Lab several dog treats.  I really think Clondike had her hypnotized!

Today I learned something about the oncologist I wouldn't have guessed in
a million years--she is superstitious!  I mentioned that it looks like
Clondike is going to extend this remission (#3) to last longer than her
first remission.  The oncologist said "don't talk about it."

Well, I'm superstitious too, and with remissions #1 and #2 we didn't know
what to expect, so we didn't count weeks and note milestones.  This time
we have and Clondike just keeps doing OK--so I'm going to keep talking
about it :).  In any case, Clondike would never conform to someone else's
superstitions.  Maybe she'll manage a cure just to confound Dr. Jeglum.

In any case, Clondike hasn't read the literature on chemotherapy which
would suggest that each remission ought to get shorter, so she just keeps
bounding along, doing her doggy thing, totally unaware that anything is
unusual.  There are a lot more interesting smells to sniff and sprouts
to eat, so we hope she will continue for a long time.

David (for Nancy and Clondike who have very sensibly gone to sleep)

 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David