[PyrNet-L] Re: CHAT: No breeding...

<<Just wanted to let you know that we are not going to breed our Dalli
afterall. >> Merrilie

I must have missed the original posts on this when I was away.  I must say
'thank you' though. You are making a wise decision not to breed your Dally.
As a Committee member and past Secretary of the local Dalmatian Club here I
can tell you that the increased popularity of Dally's over the past few
years and the increase in people breeding to cash in on that popularity has
been a big cause for concern.  And one which caused us to lauch a HUGE
campaign of public education (from which comes Cookie's wide experience of
shopping centres and movie theatres etc!!!)

The number of adolescent Dally's turning up in rescue when they become 'too
boistrous/destructive/noisy' can be amazing - amazingly sad.  Those cute
spotty puppies quickly grow into VERY strong, active dogs who NEED attention
and NEED to be kept busy.  Like the Pyr, they are not for everyone.

I have a lovely Dalmatian Bitch here.  Only lightly shown so not titled.
Her breeder however, is very happy with her.  She is a good breeding
prospect.  Am I going to breed her? - no.  I do not want to make a long term
commitment to the Dalmatian breed (Pyrs are more my thing) and the
bloodlines are safe as she has two lovely full sisters with the breeder, one
of whom has recently produced some outstanding youngsters.  If I want
another Dally pup.  I will get one from her.

Once again, thankyou for your decision.  Breeding is not something to be
done lightly.  You have made the right choice :-).

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm