[PyrNet-L] a small realization

The waitress at breakfast this morning asked me how my puppy (6-month-old
boy, about 75-80 pounds) was doing. I told her I was a bit frazzled with
the puppy-much as I love him-and his 3-and-a-half-year-old uncle. The uncle
is very well behaved, except for some territorial barking from my backyard
looking out into the local large park; the pup, well, he's learned how to
bark very well, thank you, and besides that, he's awfully good at (a)
peeling wallpaper; (b) checking the density of my woodwork (bathroom and
hallway); (c) scratching the front door. Another talent is making a lake
right next to his water bowl (though his slow owner has finally learned to
water less, but more often, as the warm weather disappears).

All of this is to say that I had forgotten that the little shaver is, well,
a puppy! When a dog is as big as a pyr is at 6 months, well, it's bigger
than many dogs at full size. When I keep in mind that he's just a pup and
learning all the time (how to dial a cordless phone; how to strip
wallpaper; how to communicate without using one's "outside" voice), well,
then I forgive and accept all the faster.

Timothy Quinn McIndoo, M.A.
Editor/writer/researcher
3504 38th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN  55406-2713  USA