Re: [PyrNet-L] Ivermectin

Jack/Charlotte,

--- Dolores Neal <dneal@scan.missouri.org> wrote:
> We have used Ivomec injectible, for cattle & swine, for at least
> the last 15 years.  We give it orally. One cc   pr 100#...

Patric here.  The dose that Dolores gives may be a little on the high
end.  I would need to know the actual concentration of the injectable
she uses.  Fortunately, Pyrs are not as sensitive to high doses of
ivermectin as other breeds (such as collies), so yoou can reasonably
safely give a dose that's a little high.

> > ...It has been suggested that we can use bovine
> > ivermectin that does the same thing but is much cheaper.  Has
> > anyone had any experience with this?

None of what I'm about to say below must be construed a veterinary
advice - if you are interested in this kind of switch, bring this post
to your veterinarian and let him/her make the decision!  I'm not a DVM!

That said, I'm going out on the limb (as usual, sawing it behind me as
I go...) with the following information:

We use the oral liquid for horses.  Now, it is actually illegal for the
vet to give a prescription for the wrong animal, but most vets would
likely do it if they know and trust you.

The concentration of the horse-grade ivermectin is much higher than
what is practical for dogs.  The volume we use per 100 lbs of Pyr
weight (in gold? ;-) is 30 *microliters*!  When i dos us the dogs each
month, I draw up approximately 150 microliter (between 0.1 and 0.2)
using a 1 cc tuberculin syringe.  I the dilute this with 5 mls of water
and give 1.1 ml of this diluted ivermectin for 110 lbs, 0.8 mls for 80
lbs etc.

The bottle we have (keep it in the fridge) will last some 40-50 years
at this rate unless we seriously increase the number of dogs we have.

Patric

=====