[PyrNet-L] Tanuki's First Show -- a bit of a brag

Hi Everyone,

This weekend, the Spartanburg (SC) Kennel Club held a sanctioned match at the
USC-Spartaburg Campus.  It was a wonderful setting for a dog get together,
and David and I took Zoe (who needed the practice) and Tanuki, our youngest
male.  This was Tanuki's first show experience.  He'll be 2 1/2 on Christmas
Eve, and up until now we've been reluctant to show him.  He spends his days
really working -- keeping an eye on our goats, and up until his death in
mid-October, our 30 year old horse.  He's tall (30" at withers), and with his
longish legs seemed a bit ackward at best.  We were afraid his movement would
be a detriment -- he had a tendency to "sachet" when he walks and he's very
"laid back".  However, over the summer, he has seemed to mature and really
come together as a pyr.

Well, we were very pleasantly surprised.  Zoe and Tanuki were the only pyrs
entered, and while Zoe comes from excellent English lines she is still very
much a pup.  The judge put Tanuki up over Zoe.  After judging, we had a
chance to speak with the judge about Tanuki.  She loved his size, thought he
had a beautiful head and colour, and felt his gait as viewed from the side
was classic pyr movement.  She stressed that it was only HER opinion, but if
she had him, she'd show him for sure.

After all the working dogs were judged, it was time for the Working Group
judging.  I took Tanuki back into the ring, and we trotted around with a
Great Dane, Dobi, Rottie, Husky, and Mastif.  This time, the judge awarded us
a Group III -- I was very pleased!

I know it was a match, and no points were awarded, but the positive feedback
for this guy was incredible!

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, South Carolina