[PyrNet-L] anaesthesia

Yes Barb, better to err on the side of caution with an anaesthetic. Our
local Vet was quite surprised on assisting another Vet in seeing how much
anaesthetic she gave. He said he would never have given that much for the
operation involved (debarking a Chow). Having assisted him in the past when
staff where in short supply and I had to operate this "machine" and turn
things when he hollered at me, I can appreciate the concern for the lower
metabolic rate of a Pyrenean compared to the body weight. Dr Robert Brown
wrote an excellent article on "Anaesthetic and the Great Pyrenees" some
years ago and this is the article we shoved under Vets' noses for years.
Things have changed I am sure in modern science but I never relax until I
know that all is well after sugery or hip-xrays. No Vets' I have dealt with
have ever taken any offence at my producing this article from the nether
regions of my handbag and some have learnt from it.  In the very rare cases
of a dog not coming out from an anaesthetic, (Not Pyrs) we have learnt of a
heart condition that had not been noted before.
Jan Chaplin
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans. Visit my sites at
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/1920/Christmaspage.html and
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/1920/Index.html and
http://homepages.msn.com/PetsPl/pyreneanmountaindog/ and my latest Site
http://homepages.msn.com/HobbyCt/postcardcollections/