Re: [PyrNet-L] giant breed?

As far as the size or weights, part of the problem is what people of
other breeds are claiming for their dogs.  I have had more people tell me
that they have 150 lb. Labs lately than I can begin to tell you.  I don't
believe that for a minute, and the rare case which is true amounts to a
grossly sad and unhealthy animal, as described earlier.  What's the poor
dog going to do...bob out to retrieve a duck?  Anything beyond a 100 lbs.
is pretty darn substantial for a dog.  The other thing people over
estimate with their dogs is why they are so strong for their weight.
Lower center of gravity, four legs on the ground for footing, etc., etc.
They often appear more formidable to us because of the way they use their
weight and structure, and don't forget maneuverability.  One of the
things we stand most in awe of our Pyrs. for, is the flexibility of the
breed within  it's large size.

Our three girls all weigh 95 lbs. at not quite 20 mo.  All three, are
very different in size and structure, and I can see the way all three
would approach their job differently, based of their different body
structure.  I can also imagine they would all handle the job well.  You
wouldn't want to outrun Silver, or think that distance gave you much of
advantage.  You wouldn't want to try to out maneuver Kemo.  And you just
plain wouldn't want to push Polar Bear too far on a head on
confrontation.  So the breed is capable of it's work at different sizes,
using it's individual strengths just as we would.

If 75 lb, dogs. suddenly take on 150 lb. proportions, then wear does that
leave 100 -125 lb. dogs?  I'm sure there are some Pyrs. that reach the
high weights, and are functional.  I just wouldn't go around thinking
that it is especially normal for Pyrs. as a whole.

And I still say, don't believe all the weights you hear for other breeds
unless you can toss them o a scale that you trust! My two cents!  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka