Re: [PyrNet-L] What made you choose a Pyr?

> >> I am curious as to what brought everyone to the
> >> breed.

Back in 1987 I was living in Nevada and artists friends and I had
gone on a painting trek up a lonely canyon, 50 miles from the closest
town, to catch the fall color.  As we rounded a curve in a narrow
dirt track we came upon 1000 head of sheep grazing the fall range.
Two great white dogs appeared from their midst and walked up to our
vehicle looking in at us eye to eye.  These two dogs asked us to
state our business and when they realized we were headed on up the
road, they slowly meandered back to the flock.  Those were the first
live pyrs I had seen, but living in ranching country was familiar
with the breed and their use.  Seeing these dogs started the interest
that has grown these past 12 years.  My father and I moved to New
Mexico and in 1992 someone told us about a litter of pyrs.  My father
was aging and dealing with the depression that goes along with not
being as productive as he once was.  I felt a pup might bring some
happiness and joy and interest back.  The puppies were ready in
December, so we drove the 2 hours on snow packed roads to pick out
our pup. Mishka was the only gift we got that Christmas and my
fathers love affair with this cute bundle started as he held her all
the way home.  Mishka changed his life and his last months were
filled with laughter and happiness over this big white dog. In his
eyes Mishka could never do wrong, he would calmly repair the garden
hose she had just chewed, chuckling the entire time. My father passed
on in 1993, another mixed breed dog in 1994 and then our horse in
1996.  Each loss left Mishka more upset and puzzled as all humans and
animals here were in her charge. So  Zazak arrived as a puppy in
1996, he changed Mishka's life, as there was a purpose again in
raising that rowdy little guy. Then Rita the Rescue came to stay in
1998, she never left.  Kalinka arrived as a puppy also in 1998.  The
four sillies keep me pretty busy around here but every so often that
strange urge hits to get another. <g>.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico