Re: [PyrNet-L] SAS. threat to Pyrs??

In a message dated 12/22/99 11:34:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Kshoffman@aol.com writes:

<< Keep in mind, this paragraph was in context with the rest of the post.
That
 is, with complex polygenic modes of inheritance such as threshold type
 defects, and impairment of fitness traits that results from an accumulation
 of suboptimal alleles over time, linebreeding can hide for generations what
 is going on genetically.  This is because like pairs of involved deleterious
 or suboptimal alleles are gradually being accumulated over each generation,
 until it reaches the point where the level of impairment becomes obvious and
 "visible" to the breeder.  A breeder may have no indication that this is
 happening *until* fitness is noticeably impaired, or until the threshold is
 crossed that results in expression of a polygenic defect.

 These statements are not based on one or two references, but on a vast
amount
 of written material I've collected and studied over the past two years based
 on recent research in genetics and related fields.  This has involved
 literally hundreds of hours of research on my own personal time, as well as
 over a year of participating on the Canine Genetics Discussion list, and as
 result of that forum, having the opportunity to consult with numerous
 professionals in the field. >>

You know, Kelly I don't have a problem with what you are saying here.  I
think we all know this although not able to express it as precisely as you
have done.  The old breeders who defined linebreeding always prescribed
outcrossing ever "X" generations to "refresh" the gene pool and add vigor.  I
think in more precise terms they were actually attempting to counteract what
you speak.  The question before us in not whether one should only linebreed
or the other side of the coin always outcross.  The question is is
linebreeding harmful to the breed.  The answer is moderation in all things
and only linebreeding will not result in good fortunes in the breeding
program.  But a skillful use of linebreeding and that includes going out as
required should.  Since you have already pointed out that we never know all
that is there and there are "drifts" and mutations, this is the art of
breeding.  That is were many of us fall short.

<<We are now paying the price for this as evidenced by our rate of epilepsy
in
the breed, which can anecdotally be traced back to just a few dogs that
everyone bred to, forsaking all others, one of whom can easily be classified
as the "father of the breed." >>

I am a little confused, but think you speak of Belgium' s  here.  I will just
add that IMHO, the current problem other that the occurrence of Epilepsy is
the really shabby neglect of breeders to the problem.  I think some want to
desensitize the issue enough that it is accepted as something that cannot be
avoided.  Ever hear the mantra "Don't throw the baby out with the bath
water."  That is their battle cry.