[PyrNet-L] Re:pyrnet digest 20000130

Where are your breed clubs in all of this. I know it is difficult to compare conditions from one country to an other - cultures are different - but here in Denmark you can not register a litter of pyr-puppies unless both parents are x-rayed and the plates submitted to the kennel club for the official ratings. These are entered on the pedigree and published in our magazine. Males must be 2 years old and females 20 month old before x-raying. These rules were agreed on in the club some 12-13 years ago.
It won't stop someone breeding un-registered puppies of course, but since pyrenees are difficult to sell in Denmark and no-one makes any money out of it, especially if you can't take a reasonable price, this is really not a big problem here. One unregistered litter of course is too many, but I guess no-one can stop it completely, I believe we see an average of one such litter every year, and in 20 years in the breed I can think of only two cases when some-one did it twice
Not every-one like the restriction put on breeders, but you are free to breed the dog no matter what the result of the x-ray, but where as many people will happily breed a non-x-rayed dog as long as it has no clinical problems, very few people will breed a dog known to be dysplastic. And as the results of the x-ray being published every-body knows what every-body else is doing, and since the pyr-club in Denmark is a small world, very few breeders care to stand out in a negative way.
Are there no rules like that in your countries ? or no interest in having them ?

Lene Nielsen
Denmark
http://home.intercity.dk/ïc0795/