[PyrNet-L] Re: pyrnet digest 20000130 - long

That is a very difficult question for me to answer, Cindy, as I have no number or percentaties to put forward. Like all western civilisation this is also a "use and throw away" society, and dogs are discarded like anything else, if they don't fit in.  Of course we have rescue groups here in Denmarks as everywhere else, but during the last 10 to 15 years a number of "rehome businesses - for a lack of better word" has emerged. It is people finding new homes for other people's dogs, but I won't call them rescues, as many of them do it for money. The best of them do a very good job screening new owners, others are less responsible.
As for euthanising I think it is regarded a little different over here. The feeling of the Americans I can only judge from the sentiments mentioned on this and other lists, and may not be representative of your society, but I feel you regard euthanasia as worse than we do. Here in Denmark the feeling is more that to have a dog with a problem (temperamental or healthwise) put down may be better than passing the problem on to someone else. It is always sad when it has to happen, but I know I respect the owner who take the hard decision himself more than the one who take the easy way out, and let some-one else deal with the problem. Put bluntly "a dead dog doesn't suffer".
The healthy and mentally sound dogs that people get rid of because they don't fit into their lifestyle is a different matter. I believe most of them find new homes either through their breeders, the breed club, the rehome businesses or maybe their owner find them new homes through advertising. But some are put down - and that is really sad.

I think there is a culture difference already in the beginning, as buying a dog seem to be a little different over here. I think more people buy directly from breeders. It is not possible here to buy from a shop. Pet shops are not allowed to sell dogs or cats. I have seen several times on the lists that for a breeder to advertize in a paper is regarded somewhat suspect, but this is not the case here, and it makes the good breeders dogs more easily available for new dog owners who may not know enough to contact the kennel club or the breed club for a puppylist. I think finding a dog through the papers are the most common way at least for first timers.
It is a big subject to generalize about, and these are only some of my thoughts based on what I read on the list and what I see here in Denmark.

Lene Nielsen
Denmark
http://home.intercity.dk/~ic0795/