Re: [PyrNet-L] Westminster

In a message dated 2/22/00 5:50:26 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
JGentzel@aol.com writes:

<< The term is "selective" linebreeding i.e. don't
 breed animals who are affected or have siblings with problems, unless you
run
 the increased risk of having the problem go forward.  Leaves out a lot of
 animals and you have to be prepared to house or rehome a lot of dogs. >>

Just a comment here and certainly not a flame at all to Joe personally.  This
seems to be a common thought among many people in dogs.  As to the above
comment, is there really such an animal?  Have you really ever had a whole
litter that had *no* problems?  No health issues, no temperment issues, no
structural issues, no type issues, no genetic issues? This question is not
directed just at Joe, but at any breeder out there.  I have had 4 litters of
dogs (only 1 Pyr litter) in 11 years, and I can honestly say that I did have
issues in each litter that bothered me to one degree or another.  I think
that the typical pet owner actually thinks there is some *super-perfect-dog*
owned and bred by some *superbreeder* out there, and that is an unrealistic
expectation.  This idea is what compels some breeders to hide problems in my
opinion.   Dr. Padgett says that each dog carries at least 4-5 genetically
defective genes.  He may or may not display them, but they are there.
Just some food for thought.  I am very happy to see the openness and honesty
that is becoming more common among Pyr breeders on these lists.

Peggy Watson
Framboise Great Pyrs and SBT's
pyrstaf@aol.com