Re: [PyrNet-L] Fighting?

Title:
    Tammy, I really think your Pyr was protecting you.  My advise is, the Rott started it so if you have to, keep them apart.  Of course one good "whoopin'" from the Pyr would probably end it too, but that might result in some bad injuries for the Rott.  Just watch 'em and make sure you correct both for things they shouldn't do and the Rott (& Pyr) for growling at people.

Chrissy
Rajah and Moses
West Union, WV
dsmith@iolinc.net

Folks,

I need some advice...

Tonight I broke up a fight (not before I broke a finger, however) between my Bonnie (10 mo old Pyr) and Sadie (8 yr old Rottweiler mix).  It started when Sadie had both the chew bones in front of her and I reached for one of them to give to Bonnie.  Sadie started to growl (not looking at me directly but I think the growl was directed my way; I've been having some problems with Sadie trying to challenge me for alpha position).  Bonnie, who until this point had been willing to back off and submit to Sadie, jumped in and I had a hard time keeping them off each other.  Usually I could grab Sadie and pull her back and the fight would be over.  Tonight, however, Bonnie wouldn't let it go and kept coming at Sadie, even after I told her to stop and back off.  Finally I had to simply let Sadie go and let them work it out for themselves.  Thankfully, no one got hurt (other than me).

I'm unsure what to do to keep Bonnie and Sadie from getting into a fight where one or both get seriously injured or killed.  I've read that as Pyrs reach adulthood, they tend to get more protective and less likely to back down from other animals.  Thinking back on tonight's incident, I'm not sure whether Bonnie attacked Sadie because she wanted the bone or because Sadie growled at me.  I could have caused the whole incident, but I'm not sure.

Anyone got any ideas on how to minimize the chances of a major fight between these two dogs, or whether I should just let them go and duke it out between themselves?  I'd appreciate any ideas or solutions other people have tried when a young Pyr decides to no longer back down to a dog who has always been alpha dog.  And if the fighting was caused by Sadie's threat to me, then I can try to make sure Bonnie is not in the room when I remind Sadie who's the boss (happening more frequently than it used to).

I'd rather not see either one get seriously hurt, but realize I won't be able to keep them from fighting, especially when I'm not home.  Well, now that my finger is aching and I've spell-checked several times to account for the finger splint I'll wait and hope to get some suggestions from others.

Thanks,
Tammy (along with Bonnie, Sadie, Goose, & Little Red)  :)
tmseller@gateway.net