[PyrNet-L] Georgia takes on all other states...

"Lara & Jimmy Spears" <k9parent@earthlink.net wrote

>Ame mentioned there was not the phenomenom in GA.  Well, I don't know about
>the state as a whole, but in the Atlanta area,  unfortunately there is:(
>We have quite a few lama farms, etc. that breed for livestock guardian
>dogs.Besides the farms we also have a number of bigger back yard breeders
>in the Atlanta area.  In addition to the smaller back yard breeders.

Actually Lara, what I said was " ... I am much more unaware of this
phenomenon in Georgia as the Pyr is not nearly as prevalent here as in the
"livestock" states- not that it doesn't happen, we just see less of it
(unfortunately it is on the rise...ugh)" You are right, we do have the
growing popularity of "exotics" (llamas, emus) and the goats. I even know of
a lady near here who has one of the top aviary/breeding facilities in the
nation who uses Pyrs to guard her birds (and property). However, I don't
believe that we see the plethora of Pyrs that Texas and Oklahoma have-
although, again, we are heading in that direction. Which brings up a
somewhat frivolous question. Which state/region has the most Pyrs? How would
one find this out? How many are LGD or companion or show or therapy or
rescue or a combination? How are all of these Pyrs making a living?

 >The only true weapon is to educate the buyers, potential buyers,
and breeders.  Basically anybody that will listen!

Amen. I think I haved mouthed off enough for one day- that's what happens
when one is at home in bed with the flu and bored instead of out working. At
least I got to watch Crufts which a friend taped for me- saw a split second
glimpse of what appeared to be a Pyr near the Komondor and Puli in the
"Pastoral" Group. Loved the groupings. Thought the Newfoundland showed
great. Was amazed at the bc backing up blindly through handler's legs. Loved
the discussion of whether to cancel "One Man and His Dog"- have watched this
for years! Liked watching the junior handlers. Wished there had been more
dogs shown as at Westminster coverage. Ah well, clearly the fever has gotten
to me and I am babbling now.
                            -Ame and the exasperated Pushkin