Re: [PyrNet-L] Breeding/rescue debate

In a message dated 03/14/2000 1:34:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
clhenke@juno.com writes:

> Kelly, When you sell your pups how do you guarantee that they ( the new
>  owners ) will become good breeders themselves?

Hi Cindy,

I attempted to explain my position, my methods, and my past history in this
regard in a prior post to this list, subject heading "[PyrNet-L] Re:
[Pyr-Net]:breeding question/showing" dated 03/12/2000.  So, in addition to
what I include here, please go back and review that post.  Clearly I don't
start off a whole crop of new breeders, and I want that to be noted as such.

We are very selective about who we would consider allowing to start breeding
Pyrs using breeding stock we are responsible for bringing into this world.
There have been few such people over the years. While we can't 100% guarantee
they will become good breeders themselves, and live up to the standards we
ourselves strive to live up to, we do the best we possibly can to ensure that
they do, and we do not take such potential arrangements lightly.  Only once
so far have we been disappointed and we have not made that same mistake again
although I'm not so sure it could have been avoided in the first place.  We
try to really get to know people well and to be a good judge of character,
but unfortunately, we don't have a crystal ball.  Things change and people
change and such can't always be anticipated.

Admittedly, most who approach us thinking they may have an interest in
breeding Pyrs change their minds after hearing how we *require* things to be
done.  They either decide they are no longer interested in breeding because
it's too expensive and too much work and too time consuming, or
unfortunately, they just go elsewhere and get their breeding stock from
someone else who has no such strings or constraints attached and will allow
them to cut corners and do things differently than what we suggest is the
right way.

"Elsewhere" with these type of folks is likely going to be a farm breeder or
a flea market or a backyard breeder to get their breeding stock and then they
begin to do things all the wrong ways, possibly primarily because of lack of
education and too haughty an attitude from breeders like myself.  This is
what makes me wonder in such situations ....  *if* we had been less
controlling and insistent on things being done in certain precise ways, might
these peoples' final outcomes as far as the quality of the dogs they end up
producing and how they end up placing them have been better?  Would there
have been better results in the end if we had not driven them away from us
and towards other less responsible breeders who don't give a rat's patooty
about what they do and how they do it? Or, were those types of breeder
wannabes just going to do things their way -- the wrong way -- no matter
what?  I just don't know the answer to these questions, but I am certainly
very leery and very hesitant to lessen our requirements for who we might
allow to breed with stock we have produced.  Attempting to discern blissful
ignorance from willful ignorance can be difficult.  The blissfully ignorant
may well be educable whereas the willfully ignorant most often are not.

We insist on co-ownership with anyone who gets stock from us that might be
used for breeding.  We insist on having input and/or approval on whether or
not a breeding potential pup is actually bred once they are grown out, and if
so, how it is bred and how puppies are to be placed. We lay every detail of
the terms and expectations (for both parties) out in written contract.  We
insist they follow the same methods and procedures that we have followed in
the past for health screening, mate selection, screening of potential buyers,
purchase agreements and terms, and ongoing follow-up to ensure successful
placements.

By doing things in this fashion our own name and reputation is on the line,
and we make that very clear to folks up front, that if they breed using OUR
Dogs, that they become an extension of us basically which means they must do
things like we do for the most part.  I feel it is imperative in such
cooperative breeding situations that the parties get along well, share
similar visions and goals, know how to work together and compromise on
disagreements when necessary but not to the detriment of the breed, and
perhaps most important, that the parties are in close and constant contact
with each other and are more or less friends beyond their association via
dogs.  We never approach such arrangements as a "business relationship".  We
approach them as lifelong friendships and a common commitment to the breed
and to dogs in general.

>  How many people do you
>  see as needed to breed dogs, to provide good healthy dogs in to the
>  future, is there a limit?

I can't really answer that question because I'm not sure we (collective we
who love and are committed to the long-term welfare of this breed) have a
truly accurate picture on the present numbers of dogs being produced and the
precise demographics of both the breeders and buyers who are producing and
acquiring them, but I *can* tell you that the bulk of rescues (in my area at
least) are NOT coming from breeders like myself.  They are coming from
profiteering breeders, generally so-called "farm breeders".

So, before we could really determine how many of the not-so-good types of
breeders could potentially be replaced by exceptional breeders, and what the
*real* market for Pyrs is, we would need to know how many failed dogs perhaps
would not have ended up in rescue if the proper education and support had
been provided to begin with, versus how many owners were going to fail a dog
no matter what and should never have acquired a Pyr, or any dog for that
matter, in the first place, versus how many are from whole or partial litters
from irresponsible breeders that simply could not be placed and were
surrendered to shelter or rescue organizations.

I can tell you for certain in my area that during the time I was heavily
involved in rescue I met a vast number of potentially "good owners" who just
started out on the wrong foot -- with poorly bred dogs and no support
network.  Typically, they ask for help too late. They haven't been taught how
to recognize the early signs of potential behavioral problems and nip them in
the bud.  I'm not necessarily talking poorly bred conformation here, although
the conformation and type of such dogs in my experience is most often lacking
as compared to the written breed standard. I consider poor conformation to
the breed standard to be the least of our problems as far as rescue is
concerned, but it is however a very real facet of what typically comes
through rescue organizations.  It was the overall health and temperament of
the rescues I happened to work with that was of great concern to me.

While owner counseling was an integral part of our time volunteering with
rescue, we still spend much time counseling and educating folks in the
general public on problems they are having with their Pyrs, or on the nature
and nuances of the breed to those who are in the early stage of considering a
pet purchase and a breed suitable for them.  Most folks who call in need of
counseling with a problem dog have basically already started down that road
of discarding their dog, or are heavily leaning towards giving up their dog.

I have a lot of experience to go on in this regard, and I truly feel most of
these folks would have been perfectly good and responsible pet owners if they
had not gotten a poorly temperamented or unhealthy dog in the first place,
and if they had received the necessary education and ongoing support during
the most crucial periods of raising/training their puppies/dogs. I'd say
during the years I worked rescue and worked with such owners, a good majority
fell into this category -- they'd have been just fine if they had acquired
their dog or puppy from a good breeder, a dog out of pedigrees with proven
health and stable-temperaments to begin with.  This was the classic profile
of the owner surrendered Pyrs that came directly into our rescue program as
opposed to going to shelters.

Because we did have quite a few of these owner-surrenders, we were able to
determine where the bulk of these dogs were coming from, and we kept copious
notes and videotape on all rescue dogs, shelter surrenders, shelter stray
pickups, and owner surrenders.  From that information and data we were able
to deduce fairly reliably that the strays and the anonymous owner-surrenders
out of shelters were likely coming from the same places/breeders/pedigrees as
the direct owner to rescue surrenders, and that most of these dogs were all
rather closely related and that most of their problems were really genetic in
origin.

We more often than not saw the very same health and temperament problems in
the majority of dogs that came through the program and evaluated to be
unsuitable for placement after being fostered for anywhere from a few days to
months.  In our area during the time we worked rescue, less than 10-15% of
rescue dogs were determined to be placeable.  It takes a very special,
experienced, trained and dedicated owner to rehab a screwed up temperament
(when it is even possible, which in my opinion it often is not) and to take
on known health issues in such dogs.  There simply are not such qualified and
dedicated people standing in line to save these types of dogs.  That is the
simple fact of the matter.

>  Just because you breed good dogs, do you think
>  that all who buy from you should also go into breeding?

Absolutely not!  I think I made that very clear in previously referenced
post.  However, I also think that occasionally, someone with the "right
stuff" comes along who might truly make a caring and dedicated and
conscientious breeder, and in such cases, if after many lengthy discussions
and several personal meetings I still think they might make good breeders, I
would be happy to welcome them aboard and help me with MY mission to improve
the situation we see far too often as regards unwanted Pyrs, at least in my
geographical area.  The truth is, this doesn't happen very often at all, such
great potential new breeders.  I admit that.

You have to understand that the most dedicated breeders have the same
commitment, conviction, and passion to producing nice healthy mentally stable
Pyrs that those heavily involved, invested and dedicated to rescue do to
saving and placing every discarded dog.  There is however a big difference
though.  Most such breeders have years or even decades of experience with the
breed, including intimate knowledge of the true situation with rescue,
whereas most such rescuers are only around for a matter of a few years at the
most and their knowledge and experience is often not all encompassing.  The
sad part is, regardless of whether we are talking about a dedicated breeder
or a dedicated rescuer we have to face the facts.  Not all people in the
world are THAT committed to animals or to anything else for that matter.  I
understand and can accept that fact of life begrudgingly.  We have to work on
solving these problems within the boundaries of reality.

>  Who do you think
>  eventually becomes the backyard, make a buck, breeder?  Just curious.

Quite honestly I think backyard breeders are the least of our problems.  The
so-called farm breeders, or simply what I call the "profiteering breeders"
should be our point of focus and our primary concern IMO.  My interpretation
of the "backyard breeder" really makes little if any money breeding dogs.
They are not a big threat to the breed IMO. Backyard breeders tend to LIVE
WITH their dogs, not just have them in a pasture with livestock. Backyard
breeders really do *know* and interact with their own dogs, they just don't
know much about the breed in general.  BYBs are going to be much more likely
to recognize, hence less likely to tolerate and less likely to breed, a poor
temperament or a serious health problem than farm breeders are.  BYBs are
also going to be much more in tune to the overall good health of their dogs,
precisely because to the average BYB their breeding pair or their lone female
are beloved family pets first and foremost.  BYBs are more likely to seek
veterinary care and advice, more likely to notice if their dog has a tendency
for chronic skin or ear infections, or is lame/limping, things along those
lines, and hence I think probably BYBs are less likely to breed such if their
veterinarian advises them not to. So I suppose the gist of what I'm saying is
that *I think* BYBs actually turn out a better quality puppy in terms of
health and temperament, and do so much less often, than the real commercial
or make-a-buck farm breeders do and BYBs don't concern me all that much
taking the whole big picture into account.

Who do I think is likely to become a BYB?  Well, not sure about the answer to
that question, but I can tell you that in my experience, BYBs are more likely
to accept education and to breed dogs more responsibly than farm breeders or
true commercial breeders are.  BYBs do tend to have an emotional attachment
and investment in what they are doing, and that is worth *something*.  They
just generally aren't interested in showing dogs, but they do tend to *love*
their dogs and take proper care of them at least.  They just haven't always
taken the time to educate themselves on the breed, on genetics, on breeding
properly.  I think with BYBs the issue is one of simple ignorance due to a
lack of easily accessible educational materials sometimes.  They are simply
too far removed from the network of resources they need to have access to.
I've found that many so-called BYBs can be persuaded to do things differently
if you take the time to work with them in a non-threatening, non-insulting,
non-condescending manner.  Issuing ultimatums such as "neuter your animals
and I might help educate you" is also not effective.  Now that doesn't mean I
give these BYBs dogs from my program to breed, but if they are bound and
determined to breed dogs anyway (which many are), turning our backs on them
and our noses up to them doesn't help matters in the least.

I think you might find it interesting to note that many club-affiliated
breeders started out as so-called BYBs, my husband and myself included. Our
very first litter produced a decade or so ago was out of our own first two
Pyrs, a male and female pair of pets, both basically acquired from BYBs.  We
had no club contacts or network to rely on, no resources and education except
for what we could glean from books and magazines.  On our own, without anyone
having to tell us so, we did health clearances (OFA and CERF) on both sire
and dam, we sought and provided exceptional veterinary care for parents and
puppies, they were all fed the best premium dog food, pups were all wormed,
vaccinated and vet checked before they went to new homes, pups were raised in
our home with our children climbing in the whelping box and handling them
from day one, and we placed each and every puppy in that litter on s/n
contract with a written health guarantee and ongoing support and follow up.
Interesting that we did CERFs back then of our own accord, yet once we got
involved in the club network we were told "CERF is not necessary, Pyrs don't
have eye problems."  Yet now, the health committee advises perhaps we should
all be health screen our breeding stock's eyes.  Of course I will do it. It
was my intention to do it in the first place, when I didn't know nuthin',
simply because it made good common sense.

At that point in time when we bred our very first litter, we had no
inclination towards nor intention of showing dogs.  As a matter of fact, my
husband and I had gone to a few dog shows prior to breeding the litter to
seek advice from breeders (since we had already decided we wanted to try
breeding a litter) and we were very turned-off and offended by the
condescending and rude attitude we got from those we were seeking advice and
input from.  Because of that, we decided to forge our own way all alone and
do things right as best as we could figure out with the resources and
educational material we were able to get our hands on (which wasn't much
comparatively to what I now know is available via the club networks).

As things turned out, we enjoyed breeding so much that we realized if we had
any hope of improving on what we had, doing better than what we had done with
our first litter in the way of type and conformation, that we pretty much had
to bite the bullet and pay our dues by joining dog clubs and getting involved
in the showing aspect, and that is exactly what we ended up doing. When our
first litter was about 7 wks old, we called a fairly local contact person who
was a club-affiliated Pyr breeder, her name given to us by the local all
breed kennel club, and asked her to come to our home and evaluate our litter.
 Thankfully, she didn't blow us off or give us the cold shoulder because we
were backyard breeders.  She took the time to come over and visit for a few
hours, and to give us a further education and more access to educational
resources.  She managed to find a way to tell us "nicely", without offending
us or putting us off or issuing ultimatums, that while our dogs appeared to
be sound and healthy, and while we did go about things the right way and
responsibly, that they were lacking in type and conformation and that likely
no doors were going to be opened to us for further improvement if we did not
become active in clubs and showing.

We partially followed her good advice.  We joined first the regional club and
attended meetings, then the National club, and we neutered our male but did
use our female for one more litter to a much nicer quality dog (and then she
was spayed after that), and out of that second litter came probably the best
dog we've ever bred, the closest to perfect outstanding temperament we've
ever seen, and this puppy turned out to be our first champion, had one of the
best showings at a National Specialty of anything we've ever bred, was a
regional specialty Best of Opposite Sex winner, is OFA excellent, and she is
the dam of the aforementioned therapy dog honored by the Iowa Veterinary
Medical Association.  She was only bred that one time, by design.

I'm also quite grateful that the club-affiliated owner of that stud dog (her
sire) took a chance on us and believed in us and trusted us and worked with
us and educated us.  They have been dear friends of ours ever since.  Who
knows how things may have turned out with us if neither of the two people
mentioned had been willing to trust us and give us a chance to prove
ourselves worthy as breeders?  Who knows if that doesn't happen all to often
and if many new breeders end up going off in the wrong direction to begin
with, simply because no one would give them some opportunities and a better
education and a support network?

I understand the concept of using a broad brush approach to discouraging
breeding, to preventing even more dogs from being bred, dogs that may be
failed.  However, you have to understand and accept that some folks are
determined to breed dogs anyway and will not be persuaded otherwise. Some of
these folks might indeed be educable and can be taken under the wings of good
breeders and taught to do things the right way.  By alienating those
potential good breeders, those who might qualify, by basically denying them
access to education and resources and a support network, we do nothing to
ensure they set off on the right foot.  If anything, we may be sending them
right off in the wrong direction to learn the wrong ways from the wrong role
models.

It's a tough call to make, there is no denying that.

Kelley