Re: [PyrNet-L] ! Dogs bites 4.7 per year???????????

In a message dated 03/19/2000 6:08:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
clhenke@juno.com writes:

> Also of the supposed 4.7 million bites per year, only
> 800,000 get medical treatment. Who is now lying to the
> American public. Be careful of any statements made by
> the CDC as they have an agenda to promote.
>
>  Gordon W. Anderson
>  Gordy the Chesyman

I have no idea if this number is inflated or not, but I can tell you that
I've been bitten by dogs before (more than once) as have several other people
I know and we've not sought treatment at the emergency room. None of my bites
were serious enough to warrant stitches, although many have broken the skin
and bruised badly and even left minor scarring.

If you are the type who puts yourself in positions where you are working with
a number of dogs whose behavioral patterns are unknown to you for the most
part (as I have in the past in a few different capacities), the risk of being
bitten is indeed very real. You pretty much come to accept it goes with the
territory.

Defining and/or categorizing types of dog bites, or in some cases what even
constitutes a dog bite, can be fuzzy business in and of itself.  A hard thing
to really get a handle on indeed.

Kelley