[PyrNet-L] Re: introduction of Wolves into Yellowstone

Cross posted to Pyr-Net

Couple weeks on our way from Atlanta to Reno to attend the National Specialty
of the Great Pyrenees Club of America, Maryann and I sat next to a young lady
on her way to Billings.  She was a vet Tech and knew Pyrs fairly well.  She
stated that Pyrs were being killed by wolves roaming out of Yellowstone, that
had been reintroduced.  She said one dog was no match for wolves.  When I
inquired about packs of wolves killing one dog, she said that the wolves were
solitary and were killing the dogs one on one.  I realized I did not know
much about the size, strength, and ferocity of these Wolves.

My question is: is this information consistent with others information.  If
so, what should be done to equip our dogs to combat these apparently deadly
predators.  My thoughts immediately go to recommending multiple dogs work
together and should be recommending gong back to the old metal collars to
protect throat?

Here in the Southeast we see mostly feral dogs and coyotes.  A few Brown
bears, but apparently no foes as formable as these wolves.

Joe

Joe