Re: [PyrNet-L] Rattlesnakes

Even though we live in the Sonoran Desert, our pyrs have never had an
encounter.  However, a few summers back, a baby rattler found it's way into
the kennel building -  - only to be killed by the two "house/kennel" cats.
(Knowing the two boys, they probably played with it for a couple of hours
before finishing it off.)

We have freinds whose pyrs (yes, plural) were bitten.  Both survived, but it
wasn't a pretty site & VERY expesive.

The best advise I can give is prevention.  All of the yards that the dogs are
allowed in have 6' high chain link fencing.  At the bottom we have put what
we feel is "snake and Colorado River Toad (also a threat to dogs in the
desert) resistant" wire mesh.  The typical construction cloth can run around
$1.00 per lineal foot - VERY EXPENSIVE.  What we use is Metal Lathe from Home
Depot.  It resembles expanded metal with openings too small for snakes and
toads to get through.  A 2' x 8' piece goes for about $3-4 per piece.  We
attach this mesh to the chain link with Hog Rings - overlapping pieces and
fitting them against the ground tightly.

That would be my best recommendation.

Take Care,
John Steaveson
Framboise Great Pyrenees - Tucson, AZ