Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyrs and Pop-ups

In a message dated 5/14/00 6:48:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
PyrsR2Neat@aol.com writes:

<< She is now 18 months old and this was our first chance to take her in
 our new pop-up >>

Your story about camping with you Pyr in a pop-up reminded me of our first
experience with our pop-up.  We had been going to dog shows for about a year,
and decided that it was time to go to shows that were further afield.  David
found a pop-up that was quite a nice size, and within our price range.  We
bought it, brought it home, and was soon taking it out to the December 1998
show in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.  We had Zoe and Baron with us, and at
night Zoe stayed in the crate sitting on one of the extended bunks, Baron
slept under the table, and we had the bunk at the opposite end.  Everyone was
happy and content.

Our second excursion was to a series of shows in Sarasota, Florida in January
1999.  This time, because everyone was doing so well, we left Zoe and Baron
loose in the camper at night.  They each had their place, and all went well,
UNTIL the last night at the grounds.  That morning when we got up, Baron
greeted us, but there was no Zoe!  I got up first, and couldn't find her.
David said "was the door still locked?"  "Yes it was!" I answered
hysterically.  "Then she MUST be here."  :BUT SHE'S NOT!!!"

At that point, I opened the door to the pop-up, and here sat Miss ZoZo!
Baron wasn't too happy to have her come in (it was as if he was telling her
that she was a bad girl making Mum and Daddy worried like that), but David
and I were overjoyed and relieved.  After some investigation we found out
what had happened.  During the night, she had been chewing on a cow hoof.  It
had fallen down between the mattress and the canvas side of the pop-up.  The
more she tried to get it, the further down it went, until it made it's way
outside to the ground.  Zoe was determined to get it and although she was
about 80 pounds at the time was able to wiggle her way out of the pop-up!
This must have been some feat, as the canvus and bungie cords that held it
down were very tight.  From all indications, she didn't go far, just hung
around the pop-up waiting for us to get up and let her back in.

Now we have a 26 foot Class C motor home.  There's no fear of her sliding out
of it <VBG>.

Robyn
dancingpyr@aol.com
Taylors, SC